Dreamless - Josephine Angelini (Starcrossed #2) [SOME SPOILERS]

Can true love be forgotten?

As the only Scion who can descend into the Underworld, Helen Hamilton has been given a nearly impossible task. By night she wanders through Hades, trying to stop the endless cycle of revenge that has cursed her family. By day she struggles to overcome the fatigue that is rapidly eroding her sanity. Without Lucas by her side, Helen is not sure she has the strength to go on.

Just as Helen is pushed to her breaking point, a mysterious new Scion comes to her rescue. Funny and brave, Orion shields her from the dangers of the Underworld. But time is running out—a ruthless foe plots against them, and the Furies’ cry for blood is growing louder.

As the ancient Greek world collides with the mortal one, Helen’s sheltered life on Nantucket descends into chaos. But the hardest task of all will be forgetting Lucas Delos

Review

The second book in the Awakening Trilogy picks up really fast and there's already mystery and action. Dreamless is more focused on Helen and her role in the Underworld. There's also new characters and it left me with so many questions.

The book is gorgeous and obsessive, I couldn't stop reading it; it was as if I was stuck within the pages, trying to claw my way out of Helen and Lucas' mesmerising world and failing to do so without much care. I think its Josephine's style of answering your questions that makes this trilogy so gripping - as a reader you find out everything you want to know, but the characters don't and you're waiting for them to wake up and realise and its so frustrating.

Let's talk about Orion, the new character and the start of a love triangle. I didn't even see the love triangle coming, Josephine Angelini is just so brilliant at throwing unexpected things at you. Helen meets Orion in the Underworld and later she finds out her mother, Daphne, had sent Orion to help her with her quest. At first, I thought I would dislike Orion. However, I'm so glad I was proven wrong as he is someone who tries extremely hard to help everyone out; he is altruistically brave, but not stupid and he is very understanding. And he is also very good looking. So I can see why Helen felt attracted to him. Orion is part of two different Houses, and so everyone tells Helen that they cannot be together as it would start the war with the Gods.

Lucas, on the other hand, went a little bit coo coo in this novel. After everyone finding out that Helen is a part of their family, Lucas tries to make Helen dislike him as its very hard for him to be around her. He really changes in this book, for the better? I don't know. But he develops some pretty cool new powers.

As Helen descends every night to the Underworld, it affects her physically and mentally to the point where Cassandra and Jason told her she would die. You watch her half of the book trying to figure out the Underworld and it was really nice when she finally figured out her way around it. Whenever Helen explains to them what happens in the Underworld, the Delos family look at her like she's crazy. For example, when she tells them about Orion and one of the Gods she saw there.

Another thing that slightly irritated me was Jason. In the first book he was so kind and friendly and in the second book I literally just wanted to slap him. Every time he spoke to Hellen he was practically yelling at her even if she actually did something good. I also started to get annoyed with Claire because every time Jason was being an ass, she would just look down and wont say anything. Actually nobody said anything when Jason started yelling at Helen which made me slightly detached to the Delos family.

Hector was my absolute favourite in this book, even though he was in pain from being away from his family whenever he saw Hellen he was so sweet and caring. What I don't understand is how can Helen not see the Furies whenever Hector is around? I mean, if they were real cousins she would see them right? But maybe that has to do with the fact that Helen was claimed by Daphne's House and not her "dad's". I'm still really confused about the whole related thing. Ajax died like 19 years ago and Helen is only 17, how has the Delos family not realised that?

This book was frustrating but nevertheless it was enjoyable. If you liked the first book, Starcrossed, I recommend you read this one too. I'm super excited to start the last book and I'm looking forward to how Helen's powers have developed.


No comments: