Sapphire Blue - Kerstin Gier (Ruby Red #2)

Gwen’s life has been a rollercoaster since she discovered she was the Ruby, the final member of the secret time-traveling Circle of Twelve. In between searching through history for the other time-travelers and asking for a bit of their blood (gross!), she’s been trying to figure out what all the mysteries and prophecies surrounding the Circle really mean.
At least Gwen has plenty of help. Her best friend Lesley follows every lead diligently on the Internet. James the ghost teaches Gwen how to fit in at an eighteenth century party. And Xemerius, the gargoyle demon who has been following Gwen since he caught her kissing Gideon in a church, offers advice on everything. Oh, yes. And of course there is Gideon, the Diamond. One minute he’s very warm indeed; the next he’s freezing cold. Gwen’s not sure what’s going on there, but she’s pretty much destined to find out.


Review 

I find it very strange that so many people have not heard about this amazing trilogy. The first book, Ruby Red, took us on an adventure that included time traveling, secrets, the 18th century, evil barons, and a little bit of romance. Sapphire Blue continues from where we left off with even more action, romance and secrecy. The characters, again, were so engaging that I was hooked from the very first chapters. I find it that time traveling books are so rare these days and lack a lot of detail, and Kerstin Gier takes you to places that are so well described that you see everything like a movie. Its very addictive and although I was a little disappointed with some parts/characters, I enjoyed it nevertheless. 

The problem with Sapphire Blue was that nothing big happened, I felt like there could have been more action and less annoying characters such as Charlotte and as much as I hate saying this, Gideon. He was just so rude in this book and there was no need for that. I hope things with him change in the next book. The pacing was also a problem. Book 1 was okay, it never made you feel like it was a slow book, but Sapphire Blue did. And some of the chapters and scenes, I just felt like there was no need for them in the book. I also sense there will be a love triangle forming on between Gwen/Gideon/Charlotte and I hate it. Mostly because I can't stand Charlotte, but there's no need for a love triangle in this trilogy. It feels better without it. 

I also felt like there was a lot of paranoia in this book which wasn't in the first book, and I really, really liked it. Every time Gideon and Gwen would travel back in time, there was this aura that you had to watch your back constantly just in case someone was watching you. In addition, I really wanted more clues about the Circle and what would happen if its closed, I mean its the second book in the trilogy surely there would be at least some hints. I also have this weird theory that Gideon could read minds, since he is a descendant from the Count. And in the first book he used to just take sentences out of Gwen's mind or answer them, but then there were some scenes where he didn't seem like he would have the gene, or did he do them on purpose to keep the secret to himself? I just have so many questions and Gier doesn't want to give any clues which is so frustrating. 

In terms of character growth, Gwen has definitely grown in this book especially at the end. Gideon is just so shady and annoying that I had a hard time reading whenever he was in a chapter. Charlotte just stayed the same; annoying, useless and again annoying. Lesley seems to have been replaced by the demon/gargoyle, who appears at the end of Ruby Red. There's also Raphael, Gideon's brother that you meet half way in the story (I couldn't stop picturing him at Raphael from City of Bones, I'm sorry omg).

With all that being said, the sequel is okay. The world is still fascinating to me and I loved all the twists (the cliffhanger, damn you Kerstin Gier) and the new characters. Although I did prefer Ruby Red more than Sapphire Blue, I still recommend you read the sequel and if you haven't started the trilogy, dear god what are you waiting for? I'm looking forward to reading Emerald Green and having everything finally answered, thank god! 


No comments: