Teardrop - Lauren Kate (Teardrop #1)

Never, ever cry...

Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean.

And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense.

Can everything you love be washed away?


Review 


This was my first experience with a Lauren Kate novel, and I actually really enjoyed it. It wasn't the best thing I've read or anything but nevertheless it was a fun read. I've pre-ordered the book a while ago when I heard someone say its about Atlantis, so the day it arrived I was already reading it. I think I started reading Teardrop with high expectation due to the myth the book portrayed so when I was half way through the book some things went downhill for me. However, the book is addictive and mysterious and I couldn't put it down.

The one thing I had a big issue was the name. Eureka. Ander was fine, it was just Eureka that irked me while reading. First I didn't know how to pronounce it, and because of that I sometimes forgot her name. And this hardly ever happens in books with me. But I liked that it was unique and original. I am so curious why her mother named her that, which I hope will be revealed in the next book. The thing with Eureka's character was that it was flat. The character development never increased or decreased it just stayed the same, only in the last chapter did she slightly improve. It also annoyed me how she spoke to her therapists and her family, I get that she a mental illness after her mother died - but does she really need to act like that? 

The second thing I liked and also didn't was the world. I liked that it was about The Lost City of Atlantis and the myth really intrigues me but there was hardly any explanations to Eureka and how she is linked to Atlantis. Another thing was that there was hardly any description of the surrounding areas that Eureka finds herself in, they're just... there and I couldn't really picture anything in my head. I feel like the ending was spot on for everything, it was described well, there was action and finally Eureka realises what she is capable of. 

I liked the relationships development in the book. There was plenty of drama and questions I needed answers to. There were some cliche parts such as the whole step mother - daughter relationship, the cliches at school and so on. And I liked all the characters, but they all lacked character development. But I enjoyed Ander, he intrigued and I was hooked on him from the moment I met him. Brooks was strange in a way, I actually didn't like him at all, even before the weird possession thing he went through. He is one of those characters that you try to like but never succeed although I really liked Cat, I loved all chapters she was in. They were hilarious. 

With all that stated, the plot twists made me want to read on and figure out Eureka's destiny. I'm looking forward to the next book and I'm probably gonna die waiting for it since it comes out next year. If you like reading about myths or if you're looking to start a new series, then I recommend reading Teardrop! 





No comments: